Slurry Beta

Infrequent ruminations on nothing.

Monday, October 02, 2006

This just keeps getting better

This will be the second and last post about Congressman Mark Foley (R-Fla.) because I don’t want my readers to get the idea that I actually care about current events. And the whole situation deeply disturbs me. However, I felt like there were some loose ends and some interesting developments that need to be addressed.

It’s truly amazing how the Republicans are handling this whole situation. It’s so incredibly Christian right wing that there must be some sort of handbook for this shit. First, they tried to keep it a secret, apparently knowing about Foley’s propensity for pedophilia since last year. Denial, as we all know, is the single most powerful tool in Christian fundamentalism (see dinosaurs, evolution, space exploration, sexuality, science in general, etc.). Second, and the absolute best part about this is that after he gets busted for doing everything short of committing a felony sex crime, he goes into rehab for alcoholism. That kills me. Way to address one major problem by seeking an acceptable solution for another, completely unrelated, more socially acceptable problem.

Also, I love how nothing in Washington is truly scandalous until the word “gate” is thrown onto the end of it. It’s not just “the time Republican Congressman Foley seduced a 16-year-old boy on the internet”, it’s FOLEYGATE. A few years ago it was Monicagate then Nipplegate (Janet Jackson at the Super Bowl), Macacagate (George Allen’s exposed racism) and surely we can’t forget Slurry Betagate a few years back (it was a localized scandal, which I denied and blamed on Razzleberry Pucker) among the countless others. Of course, all of these “gates” are obvious references to the mother of all political scandals: Teapot Domegate. I know my history, people.

7 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its also interesting to note what conservative christian groups are saying about the fact that this was obviosly ignored or covered up by republican house leadership. They don't blame cowardly republican leadership, who may have been frightened by the embarassment it would cause their party, but blame the "radical gay agenda" and their political correctness, implying that nothing was done when it was clear Foley had little boy issues for fear of a backlash from "the Left" for not being sensitive to Foley's sexuality. Makes perfect sense to me.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Slurry B said...

Okay, thanks, Anonymous, I think you made your point. No need to repeat it. You know that just makes your argument redundant, don't you?

If you're going to spend that much time drafting a lengthy comment and then follow it up with another to make sure it appears on this blog, why not leave your name? Slurry no get.

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

because i forgot that beta had to approve messages when they are posted. After typing for what seemed like hours only to have the message dissapear frstrated me. Hence the more consice post that followed.

sincerely -

Ball and chained

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Slurry B said...

Fair enough. And I apologize for the overly sarcastic comment. I was partially trying to figure out who I was dealing with.

On a side note about comment moderation: I do moderate mainly because the GRZA enjoys pouring gasoline on Beta's fire. Sometimes Google loses/deletes comments when I publish them from my email. It deleted one of Mindy's comments for some reason so, Mindy, that's why it's not up here. Not because I deleted it, although it did contain some extremely graphic and offensive material.

GO TWINS!

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Likely story, Beta. Likely story.

I was just thinking to myself "where the eff is my brilliant (yet very offensive and graphic) comment?" as I was reading other comments. But now I know: my comments are not welcome here.

Point taken. We'll see if this one even gets up there!

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was drunk when I wrote that last comment. Please forgive me.

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time for a new post, SlurryB. Don't tell me you have nothing to say about Tara Reid's botched boob job...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home